Re: cannot add printers w/ CUPS

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 07:06:04PM -0800, Kurt Lieber wrote:
| On Tuesday 01 January 2002 06:58 pm, dman wrote:
| > Does the web interface work?  (http://localhost:631)
|
| It works in that I can display the page and navigate around, but it doesn't
| successfully add a printer.  Also, when I try to use the "add printer"
| feature, it doesn't display my parallel port in the drop down list, so
| perhaps it isn't detecting it???

Yeah, it sounds like you have a lower level problem.

| How can I tell whether or not my parallel port is active and detected by
| linux? ls /dev shows par0, 1 and 2 as well as parport0, 16, 32 and 48.

Are you using devfs?  (if you don't know, then you aren't)  If not
then the presence of a device file has no bearing as to whether or not
the device works.  I am using devfs and I don't have any /dev/par*
files.  I do have /dev/printers/0 and (a symlink) /dev/lp0.  Do you
have the 'lp' kernel module loaded?  Does
    echo  "hello world" >> /dev/lp0
cause anything to happen?

-D

--