Re: Kernels - The Debian Way

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Romain Lerallut wrote:

> Thus spake Keith O'Connell on Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 07:34:08AM +0000:
> > Yes you did, and that was the post that sent me (as a newbie) into
> > dselect looking for "newbiedoc" but it isn't there. Some of the
> > followup posts make me see that is must be part of "woody" or "sid".
> >
> > Therein lies the problem. As a newbie I am learning on "potato", but
> > the docs I need are in "woody", If I could run "woody" reliably, I
> > probably wouldn't need the document - Catch22
> >
> > That was why I was asking for a source elsewhere
> >
> > Keith
>
> Sorry for a late answer, but you can always get doc out of
> woody, you just have to do it "a la RedHat": ftp the
> package and dpkg -i it.
> Most of the doc packages don't have dependencies other than
> 'suggests: www-browser' and the likes, which shouldn't be a
> problem. Check it out on packages.debian.org.

The latest version of debview.el (1.19) for emacs supports ange-ftp, so
you can browse deb packages "directly" from an ftp mirror with emacs dired
mode. Behind the scenes the packages get ftp'd to temporary files and
then deleted, of course, but it's a handy way to browse packages without
installing them.

...RickM...