network

I'm afraid I've bent my networking, and I can't figure out how to fix
it. It used to work.

Sarge, Dell Latitude, 512 MB RAM, PCMCIA Orinoco wireless.

During boot, init goes to bring up the interfaces, gets lo with no
problems, then tries for eth0 and puts out an error message containing
SCIOFADDR (very questionable - going past pretty quickly) and saying
something doesn't exist. (Another problem: I can't find the boot log.
Where is it on Debian?) The networking isn't set at all - eth0 doesn't
exist (ifconfig and webmin both say so, and the ready LED on the Orinoco
card is off) and there's no default route.

eth0 is configured with a static address, etc.

Running "networking restart" in /etc/init.d turns on the LED on the
Orinoco, but something's still wrong. It says:

"Reconfiguring network interfaces... SIOCDELRT: No such process"

Restarting networking again produces no error message.

I reconfigured eth0 to use DHCP (successfully) and it seems like
switching back was what killed things.

How do I reconfigure networking? *Should* I reconfigure networking?

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com