Execute permissions and mod_perl

I've installed apache and mod_perl on woody, and I'm trying to execute a
script with Apache::Registry, but keep getting this returned:

	Forbidden
	You don't have permission to access /webgui/env.pl on this
server.

Httpd.conf defines user and group as www-data, and the script and is
parent directory both have rx permissions defined for all, and are owned
by www-data/www-data.

The only twist, I think, is that the script is defined outside of the
document root, and it's directory is referenced by an Alias command in
httpd.conf.  I don't think that should make a difference?

I'm sure this is a simple one, but I haven't been able to turn up any
answers.  If anyone knows what I need to do to allow the script to
execute, please let me know.  Thanks!

Paul