kernel recompile - eth0 problems

Greetings all,

after 2 years of Linux I finally gathered my courage to do my first kernel recompile - and upgrade from 2.2.20 to 2.4.20. The excellent help from http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html made it almost easy. Rebooting after sorting out LILO, I could not connect to the net.

netstat -rn was blank table
#ifup eth0 failed

Searching through documentation I realized there was no module compiled - recompiled but could not find the needed axnet_cs driver in the choices revealed by make xconfig, and in /lib/modules/2.4.20/pcmcia not a trace of a driver anywhere. BTW the difference between modules in 2.2.20 and 2.4.20 - I now lack /net /usb and /cdrom, although I had compiled them into the kernel. What does this reflect?

Copied the old axnet_cs - no go. Booting, and dmesg informs me that only the vendor can sort out the problem I am having with the driver ...

Search Google - nil that made sense to me.

Which FM or HOWTO would show the way forward? Any quickfix suggested?

Many thanks,

Brian

--
Brian F. Walker