Mplayer won't "make" during install

Dear friends:

I configured the Mplayer-1.0pre3 source tarball successfully. No error
messages of any sort. (/configure --enable-gui --enable-win32). I was then
told to proceed with "make". And, suddently, this is what happens:

sher@Dell:~/L-Files/Downloads/Mplayer/MPlayer-1.0pre3$ make
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
sher@Dell:~/L-Files/Downloads/Mplayer/MPlayer-1.0pre3$

Same if I do "make" as root:

Dell:/home/sher/L-Files/Downloads/Mplayer/MPlayer-1.0pre3# make
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Dell:/home/sher/L-Files/Downloads/Mplayer/MPlayer-1.0pre3#

I tried several times and I keep getting this same message. What does this
mean, please? Why can't I "make" the mplayer executable?

I would appreciate your help in troubleshooting this puzzling development.

Thank you so much.

Benjamin

Benjamin Sher
delphi123@zebra.net