Re: Keeping X from restarting after killing it

Hello!

On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 11:20:02AM +0200, Elie De Brauwer wrote:

^^^^^ Please don't cut the references here.

> > > Open a terminal, su to root, then type
> > >
> > >    init 1
> > >

> > Huh, going to single user just to shut down a single service?
> >
> > > do your business of installing and the like. When finished type
> > >
> > >    init 5
> > >
> > > to get back to graphical login, or
> > >
> > >    init 3
> > >
> > > to get to console-based login.
> >
> > On Debian systems the runlevels 3 and 5 are identical by default,
> > unless explicitely modified by root.
>
> Open a console, su root, do a ps -aux and look search for something like wdm, gdm, kdm, xdm, ...

Rather search by grepping: pgrep -l [wgkx]dm

> then type /etc/init.d/[wgkx]dm stop.
> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace your X you'll be in console than and when you want to restart the [wgkx]dm

I don't use any [wgkx]dm myself, but some people in this thread
claimed X will shut down after /etc/init.d/[wgkx]dm stop already...

> do /etc/init.d/[wgkx]dm stop
                          ^^^^
You mean "start" here.

> (change [wgkx]dm by the one you found in your ps -aux )
>
> Solves everything without having to change runlevel ;-)

True, but this solution was already posted some time ago in this
thread.

Cheers,
Flo