Re: What do I need in Kernel for DSL

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 11:23:32AM +0200, Werner Mahr wrote:
> Hi all,
> I want to get rid of my bf24 kernel, and have some problems with the regular
> kernel-packages. For this I want to compile my own, and when I do that, I
> will take 2.6.x. I compile it with no motules, so I don't need new
> Module-Init-Tools. But I don't know, what I need for a DSL-connection.
> Any hints?

Any more information on the type of connection and type of modem?

You probably need ppp, other then that it depends on the type of
authentication your adsl provider requires.

Its probably PPPoE (PPP over ethernet) or PPTP which I don't know what
it requires (I believe PPPoA and Bridged Ethernet are rare on end
machines).

If you have a "smart" ethernet adsl modem you may only need a ethernet
driver for you card, usb will probably need some custom stuff if it
will work at all (not all usb modems are linux compatible).