Re: Anyone using GNUstep?

Running GNUstep applications under fluxbox works fine. After all the clutter of the major environments and wrestling with the quirks of so many other windowmanagers, fluxbox seems a joy of simplicity and compactness. About the only extra detail I need in a windowmanager - a simple digital clock - too often consumes precious desktop space (I have a 15-inch monitor, not a 21-inch workstation display.) Having the clock on the task bar is a sign fluxbox is on the right track.

With Window-Maker, which is the preferred desktop for GNUstep, the layout seemed uncomfortable and crowded. Fluxbox includes my GNUstep apps right along with Gnome and KDE. Plus, for whatever reason, fluxbox doesn't give me that 'crowded' feeling.

With Afterstep, the desktop background and menus were gorgeous, but upon opening two GNUstep windows (GNUmail's main and mailbox windows, for instance), the display would flicker.

With Gnome, the GNUstep AddressManager opens, but within minutes would 'bomb' (with a lit bomb and a message the app required rebooting.)

So, all in all, fluxbox seems the best windowmanager I've tried yet.

Ed

Tony Godshall wrote:

According to Ed Sutherland,
I like the GNUstep approach to applications, but am not crazy about the windowmanagers -- windowmaker and nextstep. Are there any better windowmangers for GNUstep? I think AddressManager is far better (at least for me) than that offered by Gnome or KDE.

I just installed addressmanager and ran it fine under fluxbox.

I suspect addressmanager and other gnustep apps will work just fine under any WM that doesn't geomtries too strongly (e.g. ion2).