Re: OT Re: First general purpose unmoderated newsgroup for Debian

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> So install Leafnode and use that as your local server.

In which case he might be better off with email anyway.

> > For usenet, it is equal to a network access as the body
> > needs to be fetched from a usenet server.  I suppose that you could
> > pre-fetch all the bodies, but that would negate one of the 'benefits'
> > that the post I was reponding to mentioned.
>
> I take it you're using POP3 to read your email.  IMAP works basically the same
> way as NNTP, so there's no clear win either way.

And if you use a new Cyrus IMAPd (no, I didn't upload a package of it yet),
it also accesses the same thing :-)  You can access the same spool using
either NNTP or IMAP.  And get messages into it using either NNTP or LMTP.
So all your email and netnews sit on the same place.

  Henrique Holschuh