Console-Based Appd Recommendations

I'm in the process of tinkering around with my old TI Extensa 450 Laptop
and getting Damn Dmall Linux installed on her, since she only has 12MB
RAM and a 540MB hard drive.

Due to memory limitations (until I can get a pair of 72 pin 16MB laptop
DIMMs), I am running without X.  Therefore, I am looking for a few
tools and apps that work in console mode.

First, there is the CD player.  I tried out cdcd, and it seems like it
will be suitable for my needs.  However, I need some sort of front end
for it, sorta like a XMMS, but in console mode, and works with gpm.

Second, since this laptop doesn't have a sound card, I am looking for a
speaker driver.  I have one over on the Windows 3.x side, which works
quite well and lets me play wav files through the PC speaker.  Is there
a similar driver (preferably one that can be loaded via insmod)
available in the Debian archives?  And even better, perhaps something
that can handle mp3 and ogg files.

Another thing I am hoping is out there is a word processor that can
handle rtf files.  At the very least, it needs to at least be able to
load an rtf file and hide the markups, and then save back to rtf.

Email:  What text based client do you folk recommend?  I'm leaning
towards PINE, but I can't remember if PINE supports POP3 or not.

News Reader

IRC Client

That's all I can think of at the moment.  Any suggestions for any of the
above?