Re: knoppix vs standard debian?

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 00:38:04 GMT, Scotty Fitzgerald
<sfitz007@bestweb.net> wrote:
> Is there a webpage or faq, or can somebody clue me in to, whether I
> should get a "regular" debian?!  Would there be an advantage to, say,
> picking up a copy of "Debian Bible" and installing that instead over
> knoppix debian?

I was in the same situation, most of my newbie days were spent with
Knoppix. Once I got to the point where I was comfortable using the
system, I went ahead and installed using the latest sarge net-inst
image with the new installer. Some of the advantages I  feel from
doing a "pure install":

1. Way more control on how your system is configured. Debian itself
"hid" some of the configuration with debconf (so I wasn't neccesarily
editing text files), but at the same time exposed me to what
configuring your system really means.

2. More control over what is installed. I found that a knoppix install
was much bigger in terms of size as well as number of packages
installed. I started from a base system, and only install a package as
I need it, or as it is required for dependencies.

3. Forced me to learn. I say this because knoppix will do a lot of
things for you that a pure install with Debian won't neccesarily do.
This has caused me to look things up and learn. This translated into
valuable knowledge for future work.

4. compiled my own kernel!!!

Gol