Re: Unidentified subject!

On Tuesday 02 November 2004 06:02, vincent.tournebise@free.fr wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm a Linux newbie. Been trying RedHat, Fedora, Mandrake distros and
> finally thought of something more serious so here I am. So far I was used
> to go for an Ext3 filesystem for my 'root' and 'home' partitions. Very
> convenient, as I don't know a lot about the other exotic filesystems
> available with Linux. But here, installing a very freshly downloaded set
> of Debian cd's, the installer did not offer me the 'EXT3' choice. The
> best I could get was 'EXT2'. How comes ?

Because the modules for ext3 (and other file systems) have not been loaded.
If you want to install on ext3, you can download the module floppy, and
load it before you partition your disk.  You will then see the option to
choose ext3.  In this manner, you can also make other filesystems
available, such as xfs and reiserfs.

Also, note that it is trivial to upgrade an ext2 file system to ext3 by
using the tune2fs program.  This can be done at any time.

> By the way I find it kind of awkward that the default kernel offered by
> Debian is a 2.2 (a pain in the arse if you think about setting up a sound
> device, as Alsa is not included).
>
> Could anyone enlighten me with some explanation ?
>
> Thanx,
>
> Vince.

Once you have Debian installed, you can install a newer kernel.  Woody has
2.4 series kernels available, though I don't recall what the latest is.

Of course, you could also follow the recommendation of the others on this
list and download and install Sarge.  It's what I would do.  But, if you
have a reason not to, then maybe the above information will help.

Justin Guerin