Re: Using more than one driver for a laser printer?

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 07:58 +0000, Adam Funk wrote:
> On Friday 05 November 2004 04:20, Rich Rudnick wrote:
>
> > After looking over the bug reports,  cupsys-bsd will create a link
> > from /var/run/cups/printcap to /etc/printcap _if_ it doesn't exist or
> > dangles, http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=193069 .
> > Several years of experience with CUPS says the maintainer knows best,
> > so I deleted the old printcap, re-installed cupsys-bsd and let Jeff
> > create the link :)
>
> I'll try it!  So all that "extra" information in my /etc/printcap is
> superfluous and I've been fiddling with magicfilterconfig for no good
> reason?

Quoting Till Kamppeter of linux printing.org: (first hit for
'magicfilter cups' on google)

http://www.linuxprinting.org/pipermail/general-list/2001q3/000889.html

"You do not need Magicfilter for CUPS. CUPS has its own filtering system
and you can send text, PostScript, PDF, HP/GL-2, and many image formats
directly to a CUPS queue. See also the special options which CUPS
provides for text, HP/GL-2, and images (http://localhost:631/sum.html,
options dialogs of XPP, QtCUPS, kprinter, and GTKlp)."

<Plug> I've used all of the programs cited above at one time or the
other, and use gtklp daily. It provides access to all options on my
printers, and makes it trivial to create instances (templates). </Plug>