Re: A general question on framebuffers

On Sunday 30 January 2005 09:41, Bob Alexander wrote:
> 1) what are the advantages of an hw specific framebuffer such as
> radeonfb as opposed to a more generic vesafb ?

Well, for me with an ati rage mobility the difference is that vesa works and
ati mach64 does not;-)
> 2) Other than embellishing my boot screen with penguins and their
> brethrens what other benefits come from using a framebuffer ?

I don't know. I also get a penguin with vesa in 1024x768 24bpp framebuffer.
Probably I would say that with fb you can display more data in the same space,
which is good and pleasant to me.
> 3) Is is likely that if I stop using framebuffers altogether the ACPI
> sleep will have less problems and therefore could use kernels with less
> patches ?
I do not think so, provided you have a good working fb driver (vesa or not).
--
On this laptop no Windows system survives and LINUX POWER reigns UNLIMITED.
Successfully Microsoft free since December 2002.