Re: why can't i compile a 2.6.10 kernel?

Roberto Sanchez wrote:
First off, don't make the /usr/src/linux symlink.  If it exists,
that is supposed to contain the kernel headers against which you
compile glibc.  Google aroud for information on that.

Second, try going at it from directly in /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.10

Failing that, try running from within bash (I am guessing by your
prompt that you are in csh or tcsh).  If that fixes it, then you
have probably found a bug in kernel-package.

I would also subscribe to what Roberto is saying.

Using the linux symlink has been deprecated but Linus himself in an email I read a little time ago. In the same email he stated clearly that compiling as root is to be avoided.

I have personally got into the habit of downloading the vanilla tar.bz2 source tree, deflate it, ensure that the new directory and all of it's descendabt structure is chown -R bob.bob (my normal user).

Not quite sure it relates to your problem but I have been compiling so many kernels with make-kpkg lately (2.6.10 and 2.6.11-rc1 and rc2) that I really wouldn't know ...

Another tangent observation ... free space on your filesystem ?

Last musing:

here is my kernel comp shell ...

export SUBV=$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M)
fakeroot make-kpkg clean
time fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=t40.$SUBV --append-to-version .rja kernel_image modules_image

Take care,
Bob