Re: Debian packages similar to mathematica or mathlab ?

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:02:31 -0500, William Ballard
<nospam_50115@alltel.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:40:36PM +0100, Ramiro Aceves wrote:
> > I think octave is a great tool. I have used it for vectorial electric
> > calculations. I do not know about symbolic calculus.
>
> I've been evaluating symbollic algebra/calculus packages the last couple
> of days.  Maxima embedded in Texmacs is extremely nice and almost
> exactly like Maple.  Plus you can use it in a shell or emacs.  It's
> great.

I second this. Texmacs is a very nice program and you can run maxima,
gnuplot etc inside it. The interface is neat and easy to follow.

apt-get install texmacs maxima

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
Cornell University