net install , initrd, kernel 2.6.10 install woes

Hello,

I'm kinda hoping someone came across the same problem and might be able
to help me out ...

I've installed a new system using the netinstall images (Debian-
Installer rc2.. works real good, congratulations to all developpers).

It comes with kernel 2.6.8.1. Since previously I was using 2.6.10, I
installed everything, downloaded the kernel tarball and proceeded from
there tweaking this and that, just like I used to do before.

Now.... once the kernel installed, the computer starts bootstrapping; it
loads the kernel in memory, sees my IDE controller, my hard drives and
then BANG ...

VFS: Cannot open root device "34b" or unknown-block (3,75)
Kernel panic  - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
block (3,75).

At first I thought it was because ext3fs was loaded as a module so I
compiled it into the kernel; shouldn't matter anyway because it is a
module with Debian-Installer's kernel 2.6.8.1. To be safe I've put it
into the kernel as well as my IDE controller module.

Then I noticed that kervel 2.6.8.1 from debian-installer uses an initial
RAMDISK (initrd), which I don't use with 2.6.10.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 1- initrd are getting obsolete, and 2- you
use that if you know that some devices wouldn't be usable with a
"normal" boot sequence, otherwise (ie: say you're using some filesystem
for / and you need its module before getting on with the rest of the
boot sequence). For these two reasons I consider the use of initrd
unappropriate on my system.

So how do I get unstuck from this ? my system is actually unusable as it
is, except with 2.6.8.1 that came with Debian-Installer, and I don't
want to stay stuck with that kernel forever :)

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I chose to reinstall my
system with netinst/debian-installer because I thought I could do that
if less time, and now I've spent almost 16hrs on that :(

In attachment, if that can help, you'll find my kernel .config , both
for 2.6.8.1 and 2.6.10

Regards,

Jeff

PS: If any of the DD involved in the system's bootstrap reads this, I'd
like to know why you do use initrd ? If I'm wrong in assuming that
there's no real gain with it, I'd gladly stand corrected.