Re: Installing Yahoo Messenger 6.0 under wine

[KS] wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I have been experimenting with Wine and it has been a pretty smooth road
>till I planned to install Yahoo Messenger 6.0 in Wine. It was written on
>the winhq.com database that YM6.0 was able to run under wine. My Wine
>installation is an independent one, i.e. it does not use the actual
>Windows partition I already have. I got the yahoo messenger installer
>file ymsgrie.exe for yahoo 6.0 by copying it off my Windows partition
>Yahoo Messenger installation. When I try to start the installation, wine
>gives the following error(or warnings?), and stops:
>
>~$ wine Desktop/ymsgrie.exe
>Invoking /usr/lib/wine/wine.bin Desktop/ymsgrie.exe ...
>Please use the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software\Fonts\LogPixels
>to set the screen resolution and remove the "Resolution" entry in the
>config file
>Please use the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software\Fonts\LogPixels
>to set the screen resolution and remove the "Resolution" entry in the
>config file
>fixme:advapi:GetFileSecurityW (L"X:\\GLFe3e.tmp") : returns fake
>SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR
>fixme:ntdll:RtlImpersonateSelf (00000001), stub
>wine: Unhandled exception (thread 000b), starting debugger...
>Usage: winedbg [--auto] [--gdb] cmdline
>

>~$ dpkg -l wine*
>Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
>| Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
>|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
>uppercase=bad)
>||/ Name              Version           Description
>+++-=================-=================-==================================================
>ii  wine              0.0.20050524-1    Windows Emulator (Binary Emulator)
>pn  wine-doc          <none>            (no description available)
>ii  wine-utils        0.0.20050524-1    Windows Emulator (Utilities)
>un  winesetup         <none>            (no description available)
>ii  winesetuptk       0.7-1.1           Windows Emulator (Configuration
>and Setup Tool)
>

>Can anyone help me getting this installed? has anyone seen similar
>problems when installing software under wine?
>
>Thanks for any help/pointers,
>/KS

I'd got the same problem.
And I don't want to go further more with that. If wine doesn't run
winprogram correctly I just leave it and look for alternatives in
linux world. Unless something's really important.
There's so much alternative for Yahoo! client ( I believe you've
already known ) such as Gaim, Kopete, etc.
I assume the reason why you want Y!M v.6 is because its eye candy,
then Gaim now has a lot enhancement on that. Kopete is nice too.
I don't see a feature in Y!M v.6 that hasn't provided yet on those
alternatives.

--w.h--

Send instant messages to your online friends http://asia.messenger.yahoo.com