From: Kevin Mark [mailto:kmark+debian-user@pipeline.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 6:36 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Migrating from Windows to Debian - keeping email messages
from Outlook Express

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 05:59:44PM -0500, Adam Fabian wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 06:52:51PM +0200, Dom Delimar wrote:
> > So how can I keep all my emails from Outlook Express and integrate
> > them into any of the Linux mail clients? I actually don't know which
>

> To the best of my knowledge, and I'm no Outlook expert by any means,
> Outlook is holding your data hostage in a proprietary Micrsoft format
> and will not export to any one of the standard formats that could very
> easily be imported into a Linux email client.
>
> The easiest thing to do, if the server has all your old email (IMAP, a
> POP3 account where the emails weren't being deleted) is to download it
> again from the server, having set some appropriate client rules to split
> it off into various folders.
>
> You're better off getting out of Microsoft's proprietary trap now if you
> can.  You might be able to find some program that can usefully parse
> your emails out of the PST file, or a Windows client (maybe Eudora; I
> don't really know) that will import Microsoft Outlook files and export
> to mbox or maildir format.  (Windows clients in general, in my limited
> experience with them, are all plauged by proprietary formats and don't
> like to share.)
>
> --
> Adam Fabian <awfabian@gmail.com>

Hi Adam,
I have not used this but it does exist!
Cheers,
Kev
-------------------------------
Running: apt-cache show readpst
Package: readpst
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 192
Maintainer: Joe Nahmias <jello@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: libpst
Version: 0.5.1-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)
Filename: pool/main/libp/libpst/readpst_0.5.1-1_i386.deb
Size: 55764
MD5sum: 37d2a85b5f88edf8dd6daf61a6fe2b94
 ReadPST is an application that can take a Microsoft Outlook PST
 (Personal Folders) file and convert it into mbox, kmail, its own
 recursive format, or separate each email into its own file.
 .
 It can currently handle emails, folders and most contacts.
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!