Re: Re: simple exim configuration

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 12:20:11AM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> From: Simo PW Kauppi [mailto:swk@nic.fi]
>
> > On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 06:44:17PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> > > Thanks for reminding me about mainlog.  I'm also getting a lot of these
> > > which may be from a bad fetchmail config.
> > >
> > > 2005-09-02 18:32:29 1EBMtO-0007uZ-9Q == mwiggins@itl.co.uk R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost def\
> > > er (0): SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<FETCHMAIL-DAEMON@joy> SIZE=2875: host \
> > > mail.ultrasw.com [66.181.240.7]: 451 4.7.0 Could not identify sender - DNS error 9002
> >
> > Now it seems that exim sends the mail to smarthost eventhough the mail
> > is from fetchmail and is meant for you.
>
> I have been looking for documentation thats tells me more about how this all works and have not been completely successful.  If I send a test message to my email address I want exim to send it to my ISP and then fetchmail to retrieve it.  If I send a message to debian-user I want exim to send it to debian-user.
> >
> > What is your fetchmailrc like?
> # Configuration created Thu Dec 19 13:49:58 2002 by fetchmailconf
> set postmaster "paul"
> set bouncemail
> set no spambounce
> set properties ""
> set daemon 1
> poll ultrasw.com via mail.ultrasw.com
>  with proto POP3
>        user 'waterhorse' there with password 'secret' is 'waterhorse' here options fetchall
> #    user 'paslist' there with password 'secret' is 'paslist' here options fetchall
>     user 'pslist' there with password 'secret' is 'pslist' here options fetchall
>
> I have three mailboxes.  I have stopped fetching mail from the one that is subscribed to debian-user so I can maintain a proper thread.
>
> I now remember that I may have changed the 'is' values to my login name here when I was working on this same problem on my laptop.  I will change the "is' values now.

The is value should be your local username i.e. in your case I guess
'paul' in all three accounts (if you want all three accounts to deliver
mail to user 'paul').

> > Mine is like this:
> > poll incoming.myisp.com
> > user username_in_isp
> > password secret
> > is username_local_user
> >
> > Also make sure that your /etc/mailname is set correctly. I have
> > something.myisp.com (where something is the dynamic part of my FQDN)
> > as the mailname and I also have that in the dc_other_hostnames list.
> >
> > I guess the main problem here is the name of your machine.
>
> /etc/mailname is blank.  Do you mean that I should use mail.ultrasw.com ?

No, the /etc/mailname is used to resolve the domain part of the email
address. If you send mail to e.g. paul (without any @something), then
whatever is in your /etc/mailname is appended to the username with @.

> > See also the question G11 in /usr/share/doc/fetchmail/fetchmail-FAQ.html.
>
> I don't quite know what to do with that information.  I understand that the last paragraph refers to something I have been told about but don't know what to do about.

It describes the problem about the name resolving. I.e. when your exim
sends the mail to the smarthost, it must tell the smarthost where the
connection is coming from. More often than not, the name must match the
the name which the smarthost gets when doing the reverse DNS.

I'm not sure, but I think the exim uses the /etc/mailname to tell the
smarthost where the mail is coming from.

In exim4-config the /etc/mailname is called visible_name (if I recall
correctly).

> Thanks,
>
> Paul

After fixing the is-parameters, you could try to set the visible_name to
'localhost' and check the exim log for the results.

Simo