Re: /dev/sequencer, 2.6.15, CMI8738

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 15:16:41 -0500
Chris Howie <cdhowie@nerdshack.com> wrote:

> Nelson Castillo wrote:
> > How do I get /dev/sequencer (/dev/snd/seq) using this card?
>
> Are you sure that the card has a sequencer channel?  Is it specifically a
> MIDI/synth card, or is it just a sound card?  Lots of (read: most) sound cards
> do not have a sequencer -- the windows driver emulates one and actually renders
> the file in software and gives the card the wave.
>
> --
> Chris Howie
> http://www.chrishowie.com

I vaguely recall a post on alsa-user by Takashi Iwai (the one who wrote the driver) that the 8738 has a poor quality fm-module. He suggested to use a software synthesizer instead. I know of timidity, but there are others.

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)