Re: Backing up Windows using rsync

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 06:52:30PM +0530, TAC Forums wrote:
> Hi
>
> We just got a new requirement: To automated the backup of the all the data on
> the network with the option of being able to retrieve/restore a file upto any
> 7 days.
>
> Current Setup:
> - 14 Windows workstations - 45 GB
> - 1 Linux server (Redhat). - 80 GB
> Total Backup: 125 GB (Max would grow to 200 GB in the next 2-3 years)
>
> I was planing to use rsync with SSH on Windows and the Linux server and
> schedule the script to copy the files/folders to a Debian based Linux server
> in the following folder structure:
>
> /backup/Monday/server
> /backup/Monday/ws01
> /backup/Monday/ws02
> /backup/Monday/ws03
> .
> .
> /backup/Tuesday/server
> /backup/Tuesday/ws01
> /backup/Tuesday/ws02
> /backup/Tuesday/ws03
> .
> .
>
> This would mean I'd need the Debian server storage capacity would need to be
> at least 200 GB x 7 = 1.4 TB.
>
> Question: Is there a better way to do what I'm doing? And is there already a
> piece of software that exists on the NET that does what I'm doing better and
> I should trying to re-invent the wheel? :-)
>
> Any ideas / tips are most welcome.
>
> Regards
>
> Rishi

Hi Rishi,

you should also have a look at rsnapshot:

cvpoly2:~$apt-cache show rsnapshot
Package: rsnapshot
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 333
Maintainer: Christoph Wegscheider <christoph.wegscheider@wegi.net>
Architecture: all
Version: 1.2.1-1
Depends: perl, rsync, logrotate
Recommends: ssh
Filename: pool/main/r/rsnapshot/rsnapshot_1.2.1-1_all.deb
Size: 90164
MD5Sum: 1e454d5922664702aec49b0b231af08c
 rsnapshot is a filesystem snapshot utility. It can take incremental
 snapshots of local and remote filesystems for any number of machines.
 rsnapshot makes extensive use of hard links, so disk space is only used
 when absolutely  necessary.
 .
 Homepage: http://www.rsnapshot.org/

You will need to get an sshd/rsyncd for Windows though. This shouldn't
be impossible, but I am not knowledgeable in that quarter, so I can't
comment. I can say however that my home partition (40Gb, of which ~33
used) is being backed up with 7 weekly snapshots. I usually get below
40 Gb of data for all backups combined instead of ~33*7 as all unchanged
files get hardlinked instead of copied.

Hth
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred