Re: dist-upgrade wants to remove postfix, install exim

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 19:30:02 PST, Andrew Sackville-West writes:
>> On one of my Sarge boxes, when I try an aptitude dist-upgrade, it wants
>>  to remove postfix and install exim instead. Now I don't have anything
>>  against exim in particular, I just don't want it on my box ;)

> try man apt_preferences. I think you can just pin exim4 to <0 and
> that'll prevent it from being installed, which should subsequently
> prevent postfix from being removed.

Thanks, I pinned exim* to -1 and postfix* to 1001, but still aptitude
 wants to install exim instead of postfix.

>Also, maybe you have postfix as
> part of an old meta package and the meta package has been changed to
> include exim4 (the current default mailer for debian) and so that is
> the source of your problem. If you remove that meta-package (if it
> exists) then maybe that will prevent this problem.

I installed postfix right after installation myself, so it didn't get
 on as a dependency, BTW.

cheers,
&rw
--
-- "Let's get married, eh?"
-- "Yeah, and _then_ we'll claim we're brother & sister."