Re: Using Ubuntu when I'm used to Debian.

Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm getting a new computer at work with Ubuntu on it, but I'm used to
> using Debian (at home and at my previous job).  I understand that they
> have some similarities.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions about common pitfalls when making this
> transition, things that will catch me by surprise, etc.

You've already got some good advice regarding sudo, multiverse, etc.,
but perhaps I can offer one more observation.  Please bear in mind
that I am, computationally, old and grouchy.

I run Debian on my own machines but maintain Ubuntu for a few friends.
One difference between these distributions is Ubuntu's eagerness to
target a naive audience with little enthusiasm for computers per se.
For example, most configuration instructions go to pains to avoid use
of the command line, and there seem to be occasional hunts for
features that can be buried out of sight so as not to intimidate new
users.  The Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) FAQ offers some advice on restoring
full functionality in some applications (e.g., Konqueror).

Ubuntu is a fine distribution.  It works for my friends and it's easy
for me to administer for them.  But the overall Ubuntu experience is a
little too sweet for my taste.

I'll crawl back under my rock now.

Best regards,
Michael

--
D. Michael McFarland, Research Associate Professor
Department of Aerospace Engineering