Re: screen resolution, font size and real estate

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 08:42:18 +0100
Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

> cga2000 on 05/06/06 02:22, wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 07:15:59PM EDT, Adam Hardy wrote:
> >> My monitor does a maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024.
> >>
> >> I'm using KDE and it seems that the font size at this resolution
> >> is considerably greater than it is in windows, which I use at
> >> work. So I am trying to work out what is going on.
> >> I tried setting my font sizes from 10 to 8 in the KDE settings /
> >> peripherals / display. This affected half of the applications I am
> >> using, but stuff like firefox, thunderbird, eclipse, rhythmbox and
> >> so on are generally ignoring it.
> >> Can I do anything to globally affect all font sizes in X, not just
> >> in the bits that KDE controls?
> >
> > Not that I know of.
> >
> > One solution would be to install gnome.. fire up a gnome session and
> > look for the gnome equivalent of the font customization utility that
> > you used in KDE.. make your changes.. log out of gnome and start
> > your KDE desktop. Heavy-handed but that's what I ended up doing
> > when I first installed debian.. after spending a couple of weeks
> > getting nowhere..
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > You may also try something called "gtk-theme-switch" and/or
> > "gtk-theme-switch2" and look for a large '+' that gives you access
> > to "more options" and you should be able to change your fonts there.
>
> OK I did that and it put my choice in .gtkrc-2.0 but that hasn't been
> taken on board by the apps like firefox.

[SNIP]

Could you show us the contents of ~/.gtkrc-2.0? It should be something
like:

    gtk-font-name="Sans 8"

Other things to check are that your display resolution ('xdpyinfo | grep
resol') is correct and the DPI setting used by Xft ('xrdb -query | grep
dpi'), if defined, is consistent with it.

--

Liam