Re: dpkg segfaults installing locales: [SOLVED]?

Wulfy wrote:
I have a problem. While updating, dpkg segfaults while configuring locales. The error message is:

/usr/sbin/locale-gen: line 41: 6634 Illegal instruction localedef -i $input -c -f $charset -A /etc/locale.alias $locale
dpkg: error processing locales (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 132
locales
Ack! Something bad happened while installing packages. Trying to recover:

then it tries again and eventually the whole machine freezes and I have to hard boot.

I've tried all the variations of install [aptitude, apt-get, dpkg]. I followed the instructions and ran dpkg --configure -a. I even forced the removal of locales using dpkg, then reinstalled by aptitude. It keeps doing this and I have no idea what to do now. With the "illegal instruction" I can only assume one of the variables isn't getting set.

Linux Yewdales-lodge 2.6.8-3-k7 #1 Sat Jul 15 09:58:38 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

locales (2.3.2.ds1-22sarge4)

I ran dpkg -force-all -P locales then aptitude install locales. That cleared the blockage as I had to answer the config questions again. Still don't know why it bombed out like that... :(

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.