KDE monitor gamma setting

If I change the gamma setting for my monitor using the display
control in the KDE control center, the setting only works while
that control screen is open.  If I close it, the gamma goes back
to 1.0. The box to load setting at KDE startup is checked.

I tried adding a gamma setting to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and I can
see that the new setting is in effect during KDE startup, but it
switches back to 1.0 shortly after the desktop appears.