Re: rebuilding a system remotely?

Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Miles Fidelman wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I have two machines sitting in a data center.  One of them, I've just
>>> finished, very carefully, configuring for production use.
>>>
>>> The other machine I've used a bit as a sandbox for trying things before
>>> doing them on the production machine - and at this point the sandbox is
>>> pretty well messed up.
>>>
>>> I'd like to either
>>> a. rebuild from scratch to Sarge
>>> b. upgrade to a clean testing release.
>>> either way, without a trip to the datacenter to rebuild from a CD.
>>>

>> How "messed up"?  IOW, what if you just started paring away
>> packages, aggressively making it as *minimal* as possible while
>> still being able to run ssh.  (From experience, I can tell you that
>> that's pretty darned small.)
>>
>> Then, start adding back packages as you see fit.
>>
> Well... messed up as in the mail system is completely gronked.
>
> Tried removing and purging every vestige of exim, postfix, sendmail,
> then reinstalled postfix.  Can't get postfix to start.  Tried purging
> postfix and getting exim to run - no dice.  I think, somewhere along the
> way, I messed up a dependency.

What do /var/log/mail.err and /var/log/mail.log look like after the
failed attempt?

Actually, a horked MTA is what my first guess was when I read
"messed up"... :)

I'd install smail and slocate and *purge* any remaining exim &
postfix packages.  After rebuilding the locate DB, manually rm any
remaining files.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA