Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 10:02:49AM -0400, judd@wadsworth.org wrote:
> On 29 Mar, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 03:36:58PM -0400, judd@wadsworth.org wrote:
> >>
> >>      He's probably referring to the executive order signed on 7 Feb,
> >> 2002.  In it, W claims the authority to set aside the Geneva
> >> conventions for Taliban and al-Quaeda prisoners, thereby allowing
> >> them to be tortured and/or mistreated in other ways.  The legal
> >> justification for this order is somewhat dubious.
> >>
> > Interesting.  The only executive order signed on 7 Feb 2002 is this
> > one:
> >
> > Executive Order: Amendment to Executive Order 13227, President's
> > Commission on Excellence in Special Education
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Roberto
> >

> The order in question is this:
>
>      http://www.kron.com/global/story.asp?s=1962000&ClientType=Printable
>
> It is signed by President Bush on February 7, 2002.  Although
> described in the media as an executive order, it doesn't appear to be
> listed as one, even though it was signed by the president.

Interesting.  <sarcasm>Is this where he advocates torture?</sarcasm>:

   Of course, our values as a nation, values that we share with many
   nations in the world, call for us to treat detainees humanely,
   including those who are not legally entitled to such treatment. Our
   nation has been and will continue to be a strong supporter of Geneva
   and its principles. As a matter of policy, the United States Armed
   Forces shall continue to treat detainees humanely and, to the extent
   appropriate and consistent with military necessity, in a manner
   consistent with the principles of Geneva.

So, it is the stated policy of the US gonvernment, that even though the
Taliban and al-Qaeda detainees are *not legally entitled* to protection
under the GCs, they still be *accorded the protection*!  It seems like
the "GCs don't apply" quote was taken out of context quite badly.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez