Re: reading email from gmail account with gnus in Emacs22

Alexandru Cardaniuc <cardaniuc@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All!
>
> Does anybody here use gnus from Emacs22 to read mail from gmail account?
> I managed to make it work with Emacs21. Recently I tried Emacs22 and my
> old config from Emacs21 doesn't work. I get some errors when fetching
> from gmail with pop.
>
> Did anybody here manage to make gnus in Emacs22 work with gmail? Any
> hints on the configuration of .gnus ?
>
> That's the setup that works fine for Emacs21 but doesn't work for
> Emacs22:

> (setq user-full-name "Alexandru Cardaniuc")
> (setq user-mail-address "whatever@gmail.com")
>
> ;; using GNUS to send mail
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>
> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>
> ;; use 'one file per mail' back end
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods nil)
>
> ;; tell Gnus how to fetch mail
> (setq mail-sources '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/alexandru")
> 		     (pop  :server "pop.gmail.com"
> 			   :port 995
> 			   :user "whatever@gmail.com"
> 			   :connection ssl
> 			   :password "secret"
> 			   :leave t))) ; leave the mail on the server
>
> (load-library "smtpmail")
> (load-library "pop3")
> (load-library "starttls")
>
> ;(setq pop3-debug t)
>
> (setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
>
> ;(setq smtpmail-debug-info t) ; only to debug problems
>
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 25 "whatever@gmail.com" "secret")))
> (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 25 nil nil)))
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service "25")

Hello Alexandru,
I use a different set up...
I use fetchmail to pull down my gmail into my system's mail spool and
then gnus reads it from there, when I reply, gnus has to send it through
the gmail server and adjust the From: header.

(defun fs-change-smtp ()
  "Change the SMTP server according to the current from line."
  (save-excursion
    (let ((from
           (save-restriction
             (message-narrow-to-headers)
             (message-fetch-field "from"))))
      (message "From is `%s', setting `smtpmail-smtp-server' to `%s'"
               from
               (cond
                ((string-match "psmerdon@gmail.com" from)
                 (setq sendmail-program "msmtp"))
                (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'fs-change-smtp))))))

You would have to of course install the program msmtp and create a
~/.msmtprc file:

account default
host smtp.gmail.com
auth on
user psmerdon@gmail.com
password MYPASSWORD
port 587
tls on
logfile ~/.msmtplog

Not sure if you want to go that route though. You might also try the
gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup where you would definately get a better answer.

--

Peter Smerdon
psmerdon@magma.ca