Re: lprng + magicfilter + hpijs => hp deskjet 680c

Javier Vasquez <jevv.cr@gmail.com>:
>  On 11/4/07, Javier Vasquez <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have a HP-680C deskject printer that I wanted to make it work with
> > lprng + magicfilter + hpijs.  So far no luck.  I seems like I'm able
> > to use the filter:
> >
> > /etc/magicfilter/dj550c-filter
> >
> > But for some reason I can't get to use the:
> >
> > /etc/magicfilter/hpijs-filter

Please, what does "I can't get to use" mean?  Error messages?  Log
entries?  See /var/log for the latter.

>  BTW:  Is there a way to set the quality on /etc/printcap directly, so
>  by default everything prints on economic/draft quality under such
>  configuration?

Here's my /etc/printcap for an Epson Stylus Photo 900:

lp0|To Your Left: \
    :lp=/dev/lp0: \
    :force_localhost: \
    :if=/usr/bin/foomatic-rip: \
    :ppd=/usr/local/ppd/Epson-Stylus_Photo_870-Stp870p.upp.ppd: \
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp: \
    :mx#0:sh:

It's not rocket science, once you find the ppd that matches your
printer closely enough, but I think print quality may be app
specific.  CUPS or foomatic config may do that for you.

I've used the hp and dj filters in the past, but that was a long time
ago, sorry.