Re: vi issue in etch

On 11/30/07, cls@truffula.sj.ca.us <cls@truffula.sj.ca.us> wrote:

> I tried to use the equivs package to inform Etch that my
> custom vim "provides vi", and link it to the
> /etc/alternatives/vi, but I got lost in the complexity of it.

I am not so sure that you need to go that far to get the same
functionality. I'm also not sure how you got 'nvi' installed in Etch.
I'm on a lenny system, and I have 'vim basic' installed (which does
seem to lack the mouse pointer facilities, but I don't normally try
and use vi(m) with a mouse). And, /etc/alternatives/vi on this Lenny
install is a symlink to /usr/bin/vim.basic.

Now, it seems to me (although untested) that if you were to install
vim.full, you would then have the setups needed for your
/etc/alternatives to point to the desired flavor of vi you want.

One would also think that if it didn't do that (expected) behavior,
then it might be a packaging bug.