Re: Xen in Etch, basic setup

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 01:09:09AM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Jeff D wrote:
>> what options do you have in your xend-config.sxp? Do you have bridge-utils
>> installed?
>
> Right now:
> {grey@teleute:/etc/xen} grep -v # xend-config.sxp_wip | sort | uniq
>
> (dom0-cpus 0)
> (dom0-min-mem 196)
> (logfile /var/log/xen/xend.log)
> (loglevel DEBUG)
> (network-script 'network-bridge netdev=eth1 bridge=xenbr1')
> (vif-script vif-bridge)
>
>     I'm just trying to get networking to work at all at this point.
> Forget two bridges into DomU land, I just wanted Dom0 to talk to DomU at
> this point and it fails utterly.  This is with 3.0.3, btw.  Also, convirt
> segfaults when I tried using a GUI configuration.  :(
>
>> (network-script network-dummy)
>
>     Is the only difference, really.  From what I've read it isn't
> required in Xen 3.0.
>
>> and in my domU configs i have something like this:
>> vif  = [ 'ip=10.1.2.94' ]
>
> vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:BA:17:79,bridge=xenbr1']
>
>     Does the IP make a difference?

I think it does make some difference in that I don't specify an IP, my
vif= lookslike this:

dhcp = 'dhcp'
vif  = [ 'mac=aa:00:00:00:00:22, bridge=xenbrDMZ' ]

but I use dhcp. the other likely important bit is the made-up MAC
address for the virtual interface. That fake mac address becomes the
HwAddr in my DomU's ifconfig output. It looks to me like you are
passing a real mac address which would cause all kinds of problems, I
suspect.

And, in retrospect, IP probably *doesn't* matter because you can set
that in the domU when it brings up it's interface. I strongly
recommend you try this with a fake mac address of the type I'm using
and see what happens.

>     Should the bridges end up with an IP?  For some reason when
> network-bridge is done xenbr1 has the IP assigned to eth1 on Dom0 prior
> to xend's start.

the bridge will *not* end up with an IP. It will have a funcky hwaddr
like FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and that's it. The bridge just connects
different ends of virtual interfaces and is not an interface itself,
per se.***

>> and I also have that same ip in a static config for networking in the
>> domU.
>
>     Same here.  In DomU I've got 192.168.1.2 as a test IP.
>
>     When I backed out all my changes back to a working setup for gaming,
> email, researching the web I had the following which was failing:
>
> eth0 on Dom0 was set to 192.168.1.21 prior to xend starting up.  After it
> ended up on xenbr1.

you mean the IP address ended up on xenbr1? That's because you
specified an actual piece of hardware in that vif= line, I think. My
understanding is that you want something like this:

eth0/Dom0 ( a real interface)

192.168.1.21
real mac address

 Dom0--------------xenbr1--------potentially other DomU's on same subnet

                   192.168.1.2
                   fake mac address

                   DomU

I have a working, 3 DomU xen setup with one as firewall, one as DMZ
mail server, one as DMZ web server, Dom0 as local fileserver. This
includes using pciback to hide my internet-side interface from Dom0. I
would be happy to share my complete config if you'd like.

*** highly speculative on my part.