Re: Aptitude Install Error

James Richardson wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:
Today I did a pretty bonehead move. I was trying to do a chown on a directory in /var and I ended up chowning the whole /var/ directory to www-data. Of course, right when I hit the enter key I knew I screwed up. I went and did a chown to root for /var assuming that was the best bet. Throughout the day reading the log messages and errors, I think I have fixed almost everything back to the way it should be or at least to what appears to be working. But, I just did an aptitude safe-upgrade (this is on a Lenny system) and got an fopen error. Does this have anything to do with my /var messup? I looked through the 6 packages that got upgraded and it does not appear they write anything to the /var directory. Here is what I got from running the aptitude command:

root@apple ~ # aptitude safe-upgrade -DV
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
[snip]
Processing triggers for man-db ...
/var/man needs to be owned by man (# chown -R man:root /var/man

fopen: Permission denied
[snip]
Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note, is there anyway for me to see what all of the permissions on /var should be?

Jeff

I don't have a /var/man directory.

Jeff