failure of xfsm-shutdown-helper

Folk,

Until an about two weeks ago, the shutdown helper has allowed
me to shut this system down from the xfce GUI.  Now I can only
logout to the CLUI.  This message is left by X.

xfsm-shutdown-helper.c:134: Failed to contact HAL: A security policy ...

hal is installed.  sudo is installed.  What security policy?  I haven't
changed any policy deliberately.  Has another obscure package
weaseled its way in to cause trouble?  Has anyone else seen this?

Any ideas?

Thanks,            ... Peter E.

--
http://carnot.yi.org/