Re: Scanner problems

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 20:12 +0100, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> Op Sun, 01 Mar 18:35:46 -0500 Frank wrote:
> > Just installed Debian squeeze...and am looking for help. Seems xsane
> > will only run as root...made myself a member of scanner group, but
> > still have to run gksudo to get it to find the scanner.
> >
> > Advice ??
>
> I'd suggest to follow the steps for scanner installation described in
> http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/How_to_install_a_scanner_in_Debian_GNU-Linux_using_Sane
> so you may locate the problem.

  After a couple of updates including SANE and sane-utils, the scanner
now works properly again.

Prior to this:

frank@squeeze:~$ sane-find-scanner

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
  # Also you need support for SCSI Generic (sg) in your operating
system.
  # If using Linux, try "modprobe sg".

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x220d [CanoScan],
chip=LM9832/3) at libusb:002:002

  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary
ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once
you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.

frank@squeeze:~$ scanimage -L
device `plustek:libusb:002:002' is a Canon CanoScan N670U/N676U/LiDE20
flatbed scanner
scanimage: browser.c:703: avahi_service_browser_free: Assertion `*_head
== _item' failed.
Aborted
^^^^^^^

Cheers