Re: Apt-zip-inst keeps trying to use internet

2010/1/6 Javier Barroso <javibarroso@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Jason Heeris <jason.heeris@gmail.com> wrote:
> apt-zip worked for me sometime ago, but now there is a new replacement:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/apt-offline

Ooh, thanks, I'll look into that.

> Yes apt-zip works without any connetion.
>
> I remember (don't sure):
>
> Run apt-zip (with I don't remember options) in host with low
> connection and get an archive with all package names you need and I
> don't known if anymore.

This was the problem step - I wasn't sitting at the computer at the
time, so I used a virtual machine.

The trouble was, in the time between me using the VM and actually
doing the install on the real thing, some of the repository contents
changed. I guess this violates one of the assumptions of apt-zip, so
it's user error. (It was probably only going to download a few
packages, but I saw them start and thought "uh oh, that's huge...")

I eventually solved the problem by dumping the downloaded packages in
the cache and doing my best to transfer the few remaining debs across.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and apologies for the "user error" type noise.

Cheers,
Jason