Re: Please help

--- On Thu, 3/3/11, Ryan Collins <r.a.collins11@gmail.com> wrote:

> Someone for the love of GOD, help me.
>
> I've installedDebian 6.0(squeeze) on my dell inspiron 6000. All I have to
> show for it is a shell. I've looked all over and read countless entries on
> ways to load a gnome desktop, but nothing I try works for me like it has
> others. Im brand spanking new to Linux, but im beginning to at least
> understand how things need to be typed in order to make the magic happen,
> but it hasn't happened for me yet. I think I may have installed a server
> version, but there is a way around that right? What can I do to get a
> desktop environment installed through my command line?

What's the name of the disk?  Is it a CD or DVD?

I don't think you installed a "server" version.  Debian doesn't have one, AFAIK.  I think you just made a mistake during the install.  After the system boots up and you log in, type "startx" (without the quotes).  What happens?

Also, as others have said, Debian is not the best distro for a Linux tyro, but if Debian is what you're set on (for whatever reasons), hang in there.  There's lots of help available here and on the "net."