Re: [OT] British vs. American English

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 01:22 -0400, Doug wrote:
> On 10/02/2011 12:02 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > "pissed"
> >
> > In Germany we say "angepisst sein" if somebody is angry, but of cause,
> > the British soldiers in Germany used the English term "pissed" for being
> > "drunken", resp. they said "totally pissed".
> >
> > Now I wounder, if "pissed" in British English already means not to know
> > where you are ... in what condition is somebody who isn't "pissed", but
> > "totally pissed"?
> >
> > In German English "pissed" is for both, being angry or being drunken,
> > since it's usual for German words to have several meanings.
> >
> > The German word "Schirm" in English http://www.dict.cc/?s=schirm
> >

> That's a very interesting dictionary, Ralf.  I will investigate further!
> My German is no where near as good as your English!

Who will learn German? Even most of my folks are unable to speak our
language :(. It's a hard to learn a speech that nearly is spoken
anywhere else on this planet and additionally we had two world wars,
caused by the Germans:(.

My English is completely broken :(. But it's ok, if your German is less
good, than my English. German is a bad language, with some exceptions,
e.g. for philosophy there are some advantages.

> You are obviously a student of language

No, I'm dyslexic artist :D. Music and drawing!
But yes, in Germany they teach us Latin, a good language when the
time-machine someday will be invented. Some German pupils with very bad
luck will learn classic Greek too :(.

> , so you won't be upset

I'm not, I'll try to learn, but I'm sure I'll forget what I'll learned
from you :(.

Thanx,

Ralf