Re: alsa-base breaks linux-sound-base

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 12:24:42 +0200, lee wrote:

> Sid is stable?

Dude... what a question for a user running testing :-)

Sid is the codename for unstable.

> I want to run testing and not stable, and shouldn't the
> packages in testing not be newer than the ones in Sid?

Sid has the most updated verions of the packages.

> And if the packages in testing should be more recent than the ones in
> stable, then why downgrade them to older versions?

I think you need more reading on Debian available versions :-P

> Some packages currently installed may be from unstable or experimental
> because I needed more recent versions of them --- IIRC, the mumble ones
> are. I would want to keep those until testing catches up.

Then this can be the culprit for all your mess unless you had configure
apt repositories priorities properly.

> ,----
> | lee@yun:~$ LANG=C apt-cache policy

(...)

What the hell is all that bunch of repositories? :-O

You need an urgent reorganization for your repos and also reducing the
number of them as you have too many defined.

> While (unsuccessfully) trying to use more recent NVIDIA drivers because
> with the ones from testing the X-session randomly froze, I added the
> i386 architecture because that was recommended. I'm not so sure if that
> was a good idea ... Fortunately, the freezing problem seems to have been
> fixed :)

At a high cost, I'd say...

> BTW, what is the Debian way of specifying different locales for
> different users?

That will depend on the DE you're on (or if you're on none). There's more
info on locales here:

http://wiki.debian.org/Locale

Greetings,

--