Re: Storage server

Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> writes:

> Linux RAID is great in the right hands when used for appropriate
> workloads.  Too many people are using it who should not be, and giving
> it a bad rap due to no fault of the software.

Hm, interesting, so what would you say we should use it for and for what
not? I'm using it to survive the failure of a disk, and so far, it's
been working fine for that.

> Hardware RAID has a minimum price of entry, both currency and knowledge,

The currency is the problem. Knowledge applies the same to software
raid. Decent hardware raid cards are expensive, and hardware changes
over time, so you might find yourself with something that doesn't really
have the performance you'd wish for before much time passes. And what if
the card fails?

--
Debian testing amd64