Re: Questions about multi-arch and 3rd party packages in Wheezy

On 02/03/2013 10:49 PM, Erwan David wrote:
On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 07:14:15AM CET, Johan Grönqvist <johan.gronqvist@gmail.com> said:
2013-02-04 01:10, Marc Shapiro skrev:
Unfortunately, dpkg does not automatically
handle dependancies, like agt-get and aptitude do, so I get a list of
dependencies, all i386 libraries. Is there any way to install such a
package and get the dependant libraries installed other than manually
installing each one?
The information about skype on the debian wiki seems to indicate that
"apt-get -f install" is the solution. It worked for me for skype.

 From <https://wiki.debian.org/skype>:
-------------------------------------

First, you will have to enable Multi-Arch:

# dpkg --add-architecture i386
# apt-get update

Then, download the i386 package as above and install:

# wget -O skype-install.deb http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-deb
# dpkg -i skype-install.deb

If you then proceed with

# apt-get -f install

quite a few i386 packages will be installed.
I'd rather use gdebi for installing skype thus

gdebi skype-install.deb will install skype and the libraries it depends on.
I managed to install gdebi and tried to use it to install icaclient. Unfortunately, after installing all of the required i386 libs it then complained that it could not find nspluginwrapper. Apparently, nspluginwrapper is available for Squeeze, but not Wheezy. So I grabbed the .deb for Squeeze and tried to install it using gdebi. It then wanted to uninstall galculator, lxde and 15 other packages. Why should it care about lxde?!? It also wants to install ia32-libs!!! The whole point of multi-arch, I thought, is to eliminate ia32-libs.

How do I get icaclient to work in Wheezy, using multi-arch without nspluginwrapper available. Since I need icaclient to connect to work, if I can not get this to work then I will have to stick with Squeeze unless and until Citrix decides to release a REAL AMD64 version of icaclient.

Marc