Re: Source.list URL

On 04/01/2014 05:27 PM, ray wrote:
The URL in the default source.list doesn't seem correct:

/etc/apt/sources.list  ->
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

The above path is to a directory with other folders.  But Wheezy is a subdirectory of dists, not debian.  So it seems the URL should be:
deb http://http.debian.net/debian/dists/ wheezy main contrib non-free

(I added contrib non-free)

I have just started with Linux and have not had much luck with apt-get so I am wondering if this might be a problem.

ray

No.  I don't think that is your problem.  When I enter:

    http.debian.net/debian/

into Firefox, I am redirected to:

    mirror.hmc.edu/debian

which may be where your problem lies, or maybe not.

In any case, my sources.list file uses the following line:

    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

Note that this is to debian.org, NOT debian.net.

I hope this helps,

Marc