Re: Should apt-get autoremove Gain Confirm for Packages Removal?

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 06:05:26PM -0600, Jeff Bai wrote:
>    I am not exactly using Debian but building another distribution with
> DPKG and APT as basic package management suite. But we just found that,
> when doing apt-get autoremove, there was not a warning or extra notice for
> removing packages which sometimes leads to a broken system...
>
>    Well, I would really want to hear what you guys think...

The problem here is with your other distribution. "autoremove" removes packages
which were installed automatically - that is, ones that you haven't explicitly
asked for, but were dependencies of ones you did - that are no longer required.
This can happen if you remove the package you originally wanted, or if a newer
version no longer has that dependency. "autoremove" will not remove essential
packages nor packages that are requirements of other installed packages. If
something broke after autoremove, then there must be a missing or incorrect
dependency in your other distribution.