Re: Post-installation: how to auto-configure network adapter (ie. enable internet access)?

On 06/06/2014 05:52 AM, Horatio Leragon wrote:

> AskUbuntu.com is a totally awesome site where volunteers who are
> experts in their own fields answer questions without asking ordinatry
> folks like me to read "man pages" or "reference guides" even after I
> have told them I do not know how to apply the syntax of the options
> of various commands.
>
> An example of an awesome answer that I got from an awesome expert on
> that awesome AskUbuntu.com is the following:
>
> apt-cache search java | awk '{print($1)}' | grep -E -e '^(ia32-)?(sun|oracle)-java' -e '^openjdk-' -e '^icedtea' -e '^(default|gcj)-j(re|dk)' -e '^gcj-(.*)-j(re|dk)' -e 'java-common' | xargs sudo apt-get -y remove
>
> Yet another example of an awesome answer:
>
> dpkg --list 'linux-image-*' \
>     | perl -ane 'BEGIN { $r = `uname -r` or die; chomp $r } print $F[1], "\n" if $F[0] eq "ii" && $F[1] !~ /\Q$r\E\b/' \
>     | xargs -r aptitude purge -y
>
> I bet that no one here is willing to give that kind of awesome
> answers, assuming that they know. The so-called experts here will
> tell me to first read the official Debian Reference manual, "man
> pages" and maybe a book on bash scripting for the uninitiated.

I would not consider those "awesome answers".

They don't explain anything; they may let you get something done, but
they don't help you understand what you're doing, why you're doing it,
or why doing it that way works when doing it a different way wouldn't.

They may be enough for what you went looking for, but the larger goal of
any question should be to *learn* - if only so that you don't need to
ask a similar question later on, for a similar but not identical task -
rather than just to accomplish whatever task is currently at hand.
Answers like that don't help you learn.

(Unless you already know enough about the commands being used that you
can parse out the individual components and figure out what they do...
in which case you might well not have needed to ask the question in the
first place.)

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.