Re: Retaining Older Kernels After Image Update

On Sb, 02 aug 14, 12:11:43, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
> [ Wheezy;  3.2.0-4-amd64 ]
>
> I've noticed that when I upgrade a kernel image, the prior one appears
> to be removed.  So, at any time there is only one kernel image in /boot.

Let's distinguish between package names and versions.

Currently the *name* of the kernel package in stable is

    linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64

and there are several versions available for it. According to
tracker.debian.org the regular archive has *version* 3.2.57.3, while the
security archive has 3.2.60-1+deb7u3.

When upgrading the package with the *name* linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64
from *version* 3.2.57.3 to 3.2.60-1+deb7u3 no files of the old version
are preserved. This is normal and expected, otherwise package upgrades
would very soon fill up your system[1].

If for some reason Debian were to release a linux image package with the
*name* linux-image-3.2.0-5-amd64, the files of linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64
would be preserved unless you deliberately configure your system not to
or manually remove it yourself.

As a side note, the point of having something-like-a-version in the
package name is to allow different generations (avoiding the word
"versions" on purpose) of a software to be installed in paralel when
this is useful.

Given the above, if you feel like you should be having a backup kernel
image in case a *version* upgrade breaks something (yes, this is
possible) you should probably install some other kernel image package
(e.g. a -686 one if your system can boot it, or a package from
backports, or some -rt image, etc.) and make sure you don't upgrade both
at the same time.

[1] packages tend to (slowly) grow in size over time, but this is not
what I'm talking about here.

Hope this explains/helps,
Andrei