Re: [exim4] mixed up about terminology

Simon Hollenbach <ionpowered@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Harry,
>
> On 05/10/14 18:01, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> when running `dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config'  I've run accross a few
>> of the questions that are confusing to me...
>>
>> The current one I'm stumbling over is
>>
>> 1)  A question about listing of host IPs the smtp listener will
>>     listen for...
> All the hosts listed here will be able to send mails to your server.
>>
>> And then later on there is
>> 2) A question about which hosts your server will relay for.

> All the hosts listed here will be able to send any mail via your server
> to a remote host, your server is not the destination for the mail.

OK, got it.  I see when you explain it... it is quite a dramatic
difference really.  thanks

> You should leave the relay-list empty unless you really know what you
> are doing. Mail to remote hosts should generally only be processed for
> users that have authenticated to your SMTP-server.

I don't have much of a clue of what I'm doing... but I should have
mentioned earlier that my setup is a single user setup on a home lan.

It gets a little confusing to me because the server itself needs to
send out to my IP smart host, while at the same time it will serve s
the smart host for my other lan machines.

I do want to be able to use this server as the smart host for my other
lan machines.  So is that second one (about relaying) the place to
list my lan networks?