Re: Perfect Jessie is something like this...

On 02/11/14 13:12, Marty wrote:
> On 11/01/2014 10:00 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:

>>> In this interview he makes it clear he does not think the entire
>>> Linux system has to be done "the UNIX way".
>>
>> *Which does not answer my question.*
>>

>> I'm well aware that neither RMS or Linus do not advocate that
>> "Linux, kernel and userland" are UNIX, not have to be "the UNIX
>> way".
>>
>> I'm asking why (some) people keep insisting that systemd is bad *because
>> it's not the UNIX way*.
>>
>> It sounds like a strawman - but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt
>> and asking for clarification. I'm uncertain of your
>> intention/comprehension of the question Frank - but your response
>> is not an answer to my question.
>
> My answer is systemd doesn't have to be done the Unix way. It's a
> red herring. Nobody complains about Android not being the Unix way.
> It's irrelevant.

Thanks for your answer Marty. I agree

Never-the-less I was hoping for an answer from those that propose that
"systemd is bad because it's not 'the UNIX way'".

> The relevant question is should Debian be implemented the Unix way,

That's where we disagree - both in the logic schema employed, and the
"relevance".

1. My /understanding/ is that Debian (the Universal Operating System)
does not implement "everything" "the UNIX way". Is there a reference to
this requirement?

2. The "question" is not that Debian /should/ implement "everything"
"the UNIX way" (which would seem to be "shifting the goal posts")

> or should one software suite gobble up so many modular services that
> Debian is no longer Unix-like in any meaningful way?

Aside from the slanted and contentious phrasing (unintentional?) it's:-
; (perhaps unintentionally) sophist rhetoric (the conclusion is only
true if the first assumption is - and relies on Debian being "UNIX-like"
; more of the Gish Gallop that characterises much of the (alleged)
opposition to systemd. A form of pseudo argument I find distasteful and
dishonest.

Kind regards

--

"Turns out you can't back a winner in the Gish Gallop" ~ disappointed punter