Sound in Jessie

Today, for the first time in many weeks, my computer, running Jessie,
started to have sound. It must have something to do with last night
install of updates of .deb packages. But there are problems.
I have no software control over the volume. Only way to turn done the
volume is to turn anti-clockwist the physical knob on the loud speaker
box. And, the audio mixer, which has been installed during the many weeks,
has developed a new curious symptom: Instead of doing nothing, it now
displays a message that GStreamer was unable to find any sound devices.
Of course there are working sound devices, its just that Jessie sound
software is not yet working. I'd welcome tips on how to make it fully
functional faster than just waiting for the full release of Jessie

Note: some of you may remember my asking for help getting my sound to
work. I got some help. I got help. I spent hours trying different things
and suddenly it started working, but a few hours later, it stopped working
again. I don't understand software sound. I think loading and removing
various packages with various conflicting bugs somehow made it work for
awhile, and decided to let it lie fallow. I noticed that there are two
packages on the Xfce4 desktop that I don't believe were there the last
time I paid attention to computer sound: Ex Falso and Quod Libet. I
have never felt the need for computer mediated music, so that fact that
there is broken sound now, rather than no sound might be related to
these packages.

Anyway, it would be nice to have fully functional sound. My compute is
a HP Pentium desktop several years old, nothing special, but it is the
best computer I have ever had, so I expect to be keeping it thru the
life of Jessie, and beyond.

For now, I can, with adequate guidance, do testing of the new sound for
today. Is there anything of interest to the developers who are working
the sound system issues?

The GStreamer message goes on to suggest:
Some sound system specific GStreamer packages may be missing. It may
also be a permissions problem.

What is the package set that should be installed in Jessie? Maybe now
is a good time to find out. Where should I look?

Cheers.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net